In July 2020, the Chair of Interior Design Engineering was founded under the direction of Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfram Remlinger. It forms a new department of the Institute for Engineering Design and Industrial Design. The focus is on the user-friendly layout and technical design of the vehicle interior and its components.
Principles of Interior Design Engineering
- The vehicle interior is a (partially) enclosed area with walls and roofs for the transportation of people and their luggage.
- We consider different types and purposes of vehicle interiors in any type of vehicle, means of transport or mobile machine.
- The passenger and user are at the center of our considerations and thus we pursue human-centered product development.
- Due to the high social importance of mobility, the vehicle interior forms an essential part of the living space of many people, with comparable significance to the interior of buildings.
- The design goals go beyond the acceptable usability of the vehicles to include a comfortable quality of stay in harmony with performance support for the users.
- We look at the whole, whether we are designing individual control elements or a new mobility concept.
- We consider the entire development process from conception to implementation and subsequent use.
- We move in the field of tension between design, ergonomics and technology with a focus on functional design without neglecting aesthetic aspects.
- We use analog as well as digital and virtual methods as needed.
We conduct applied research and transfer the findings to projects with industrial partners as well as to teaching.